SCOTLAND'S BIGGEST FISH AND CHIPS RESTAURANT OPENS IN EDINBURGH
3 months AGOIain Fenwick
Edinburgh based Vittoria Group have today opened Scotland's biggest Fish and Chip restaurant on Victoria Street.
The 300 - cover Bertie’s Restaurant and Bar in Edinburgh’s Old Town is the group’s first foray beyond the Italian food markets, having opened their first restaurant in 1970 in the Leith neighbourhood.
The 11'000 sq.ft restaurant in the former St John’s Church offers an affordable menu that reinvents some traditional British 'chip shop' dishes and celebrates specialities including fish and chips - along with contemporary twists on the chip shop experience and boasts several light options, all under ten pounds.
Dishes include: STEAK PIE - Shoulder Steak, Red Wine Gravy, Puff Pastry, Garden Peas, Mash or Twice Cooked Chips; BERTIE’S SEA DOG - Battered Cod, Toasted Brioche Bun, Crushed Peas, Marie Rose sauce, Twice Cooked Chips; BERTIE’S FISH CURRY - Malaysian style Curry with a selection of Fish and Seafood, Coconut Milk, Coriander Rice; HAGGIS, NEEPS & TATTIES- locally produced Haggis, Mashed Potatoes, Bashed Turnip and BERTIE’S STEAK BURGER- 6oz Aberdeen Angus Steak Burger, Toasted Brioche Bun, Lettuce, Tomato, Twice Cooked Chips.
Naturally, traditional British chip shop favourites will be at the heart of the all day menu and include HADDOCK or COD SUPPERS; Battered, Breaded or Baked; BATTERED PORK SAUSAGE- Locally produced Pork Sausage; WHITBY SCAMPI- 8 pieces of whole tail Scampi in breadcrumbs and WHITE PUDDING - traditional White or Mealy pudding battered and deep fried and all served with Twice Cooked Chips. The menu also features a VEGAN FISH AND CHIPS and a variety of Vegetarian dishes.
Bertie's cocktail menu, that aims to balance Scottish ingredients “with the zest of the seaside”, includes IRN BRU SPRITZ - Barr's Irn Bru with Prosecco, Apérol and Angostura; BERTIE'S BUTTER BEER - Butterscotch Schnapps topped with Cream Soda and a BUCKFAST BRAMBLE - a combination of Gin and Buckfast.
Vittoria Group Chairman, Tony Crolla said:
"We are very proud to open Scotland's biggest Fish and Chip restaurant here in Edinburgh. The capital's thriving Old Town is the perfect place to continue driving our restaurant business to new and old customers alike. Bertie's Restaurant and Bar will offer something for everyone visiting the city as well as those locally who have continued to support our business growth through the decades. Bertie's is a new chapter for my family business as we open the doors to our latest project this week."
Local design team MD Hospitality along with the main contractor Pride Commercial Interiors were appointed by Vittoria Group to develop the three million pound investment in Bertie's Restaurant and Bar.
Michael Dunn of MD Hospitality said:
"Our design brief was to create a restaurant space of theatre, fun and excitement. We wanted Bertie's customers to fell wonderful while they dined in a magical space. We believe this is what we have created over three floors embracing many of the original features of the former St John's Church on Victoria Street."
Bertie’s Restaurant and Bar has created over 50 new jobs with the expansion of Vittoria Groups restaurant portfolio in Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Vittoria Group are also behind Italian restaurant brands Divino, Vittoria on the Bridge, Vittoria on the Walk, La Favorita and La Favorita Delivered as well as Taste of Italy.
Bookings for Bertie's Restaurant and Bar are now open.
BERTIE'S FACT & FIGURES
- Bertie's has capacity for 300 guests
- The restaurant features two bars serving cocktails, Prosecco on tab, beers, wines and spirits
- Open Sunday - Thursday from 12pm - 10pm and Friday and Saturday from 12pm- 11pm
- Bertie's Kids menu is available at all times and priced at £8 for two courses
- 2500 bookings have been received ahead of Opening on Monday 10th December
- Vegans can enjoy Vegan Fish and Chips at Bertie's and there are many options for Gluten Free customers
- The Private Dining Room at Bertie's can host 14 guests and available for private dinner and celebrations
- Fish and Chips can be enjoyed battered, breaded or baked
- 'Chip Shop classics' including Sausage Supper and White Pudding Supper are priced under ten pounds
- Tourists will love the choice of Haggis dishes available including Haggis, Neeps and Tatties; Haggis Spring Rolls and Veggie Haggis.
- Edinburgh Rock features alongside deep battered chocolate bars in Bertie's MUST TRY dessert sharing platter
- Local Cartoonist Frank Boyle was commissioned to create artwork for Bertie's Grand Staircase that features an original cartoon of the Crolla Family as well as 13 of his most popular illustrations.
- The team at Bertie's have created their very own 'Chippy Sauce' that has a secret recipe...
- Bertie's are proud to serve Cod and Haddock caught in ice cold North Atlantic waters
- Potatoes are sourced from the Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire areas considered the best in the UK for chipping and frying
SCOTLAND'S HOTTEST NEW DINING EXPERIENCE TO LAUNCH THIS MONTH WITH TEN COURSE TASTING MENU
by Iain Fenwick - 3 days Ago
New Jamaican Restaurant Jamaya, Brings The Carnival Spirit To Solihull
by Iain Fenwick - 4 days Ago
Mother's Day Gift Ideas from the Japan Centre
by Iain Fenwick - 5 days Ago
Asha’s announces launch date of new Solihull venue
by Iain Fenwick - 7 days Ago
DUVEL BARREL-AGED No:3 LAUNCHES IN THE UK
by Brucine Francis - 11 days Ago